Wednesday 27 April 2016

How to: banana bread and homemade custard


Happy Hump Day :)

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend? Mine is very quiet and relaxing; just the way I like it! So I was going through my All Things Edible tab and realized that I've been slacking on the foodie posts. *hides face* Sorry! Fear not my fellow foodies, I got you! *exaggerated wink*

So the other day, I think it was last Wednesday *checks picture time stamp*, I got up and decided to make banana bread. Why you ask? Why not? lol. Okay, maybe it's because i'd spent the previous night discovering and going through Michelle's blog Across The Ordinary. I fell in love with her banana bread recipe.  and vowed to try it the next day.


My friend Wila once said "I always thought desserts needed custard, that stuff goes with everything." And I laughed so hard because I don't believe that to be true. Lo and behold, who should have a custard caving that particular day? This girl. Lol. Alas :( when I checked the pantry we were out of custard powder. But not even that could get me down. I searched my trusty friend google for a quick custard recipe and just over an hour later I was a very happy chappie.


Banana Bread

I stuck to the recipe (view here) as it was my first attempt and I didn't want to mess it up.lol I'll most probably give it my own twist the next time I try it, which might be soon considering the amount of bananas sitting in the veggie rack.

Ingredients

  • 3 large (overripe) bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 250g (1 cup) flour
  • 125g (1/2 cup) butter
  • 125g (1/2 cup) castor sugar or regular white/brown sugar is fine as well
  • 1 tspn bicarbonate of soda ( or baking powder)
  • 1 tspn vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup chopped almond and peacan nuts (optional)

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
  • Beat the eggs, mash/blend the bananas and mix the two together.
  • Cream the butter and sugar then add the banana and egg mix.
  • Stir the dry ingredients together then add into the mixture
  • Stir in peacan and almond nuts
  • Bake for about an hour or until skewer poked into the center comes out clean

Custard

I got the recipe off the allrecipes website and it was so quick and simple to prepare! Thank you Google. Lol. I was glad that there were no complicated ingredients and you know what> I'm not sure I'm going to use the store bought kind again. Except Ultramel. Nothing can replace Ultramel. Ultramel is life!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 dash vanilla essence
  • 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)

Method

  • Preheat oven to 165 degrees C (or 325 F for all my foreign friends)
  • Whisk all the ingredient in a bowl until well blended and pour mixture into a heat proof (or custard) bowl.
  • Place bowl into another heat proof bowl (or baking pan) and fill with enough hot water to reach about halfway up the sides of your bowl containing the custard mix.
  • Bake in the oven for about an hour (or till it sets) and let it cool completely. 

Et voila! Bon appetit! And please let me know if you try the recipes out! Tag me on social media it's @mwapsy 

Bisous
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)