Wednesday 29 June 2016

Are you bearing fruit?

Happy Hump day!!


My devotion this morning said:


"What side are you on? That is the question Jesus is asking in Luke 13:1-8. Are you on the side of right or wrong? The right side leads to eternal life, while the wrong side leads to destruction. Jesus' message is simple: all you have to do is repent of your sins in order to have new life. If you don't repent, then you will perish. God does not desire to cut us down, but rather He loves us and desires us to bear fruit. What fruit are you bearing in your life currently? What sins do you need to repent of in order to start bearing the kind of fruit God desires?"


I absolutely loved it. It embodied the three S's: Short, Sweet and Straight-to-the-point.πŸ˜„
See the last couple of weeks in various discussions with a friend of mine(with the aid of devotions, a couple of powerful sermons and searching scripture) I've been seriously thinking about the Christian life. It's not enough to just proclaim your Faith πŸ™… No no no! You need to bear fruit. How are you going to claim to be following the Lord and growing in your walk when there are no fruits to show for it? Are you really growing? Just as the trees grow and eventually begin to bear fruit, so too should we be in our walk with God. 

" Before God Speaks, Decide To Say “Yes” 
God speaks to people who decide they’re going to do what he tells them to do, even before he tells them. It’s saying, “God, if you want me to move, I’ll move. If you want me to get married, I’ll get married. If you want me to leave this job, I’ll leave this job. Before you even tell me, my answer is ‘yes.’ Whatever you want me to do, I will do it.” 
Luke 8:15 says, “The seeds that fell in good soil stand for those who hear the message and retain it in a good and obedient heart, and they persist until they bear fruit” (TEV). 
I used to study this parable of Jesus and think it was talking about four kinds of people: those who are resistant, those who are shallow, those who are busy, and those who are good. 
But this parable actually represents four attitudes. You can have all four attitudes in the same day! One moment you go, “God, I don’t want to hear you, because I know what you’re going to say.” And the next moment you say, “Lord, tell me quick.” Then you hear it and think it’s good, but you don’t do anything about it. Maybe the fruit starts to bear in your life, but then you get busy with your job or school or your kids, and the weeds grow up. Then other times you say, “God, whatever you want. I’m totally open to you.” 
God wants you to have an attitude of obedience so that you can bear fruit — the biblical term for being successful. God wants you to be fruitful in your business, your family, your friendships, your relationship with God and with others, and your health. 
So how do you bear fruit when God tells you something? You pass it on. When God tells you something, the quickest way to let it bear fruit in your life is to tell somebody else what you just learned. 
Another translation of Luke 8:15 says, “They listen to God’s words and cling to them and steadily spread them to others who also soon believe” (LB). God wants you to pass on to others what you learn. 
πŸ™" 

That's another one that got me thinkingπŸ‘† I love how it's so practical and breaks down the verse for us with real life examples so that it's easier to understand. See it all starts with your attitude. A change of attitude can do you a world of good and you could find that that was all God was waiting for you to do before you start to bear fruit. You need to be open to the word and works of God in your life. 
There's no point saying you believe the scripture and disregarding it the next second. Or not believing that God can do for you what He's said in His word. We need to have childlike Faith and just say to God "You do you Lord. You're the potter and I'm the clay. Work in me 😍" It's as simple as that. Short, sweet, straight-to-the-point!


Please take time to listen to Pastor Ben Holmes's sermon called "A barren fig tree" 
 http://www.holbrooksevangelicalchurch.co.uk/jsp/uploaded_files/audio/20160619%20AM.mp3

I promise you, you'll be so so glad you did.


Bisous
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)