Friday 26 June 2015

The week that was..

*Stands up* "Hi my name's Mwape and I'm a foodie"
"Hi Mwape"

Once upon a time, during a vac long, long ago (okay it was last summer but you'd feel the same if you had my semester. I digress *covers face*) I had a week that felt like a foodie's dream. I just have to share it with you. Well technically it wasn't a whole week, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift. Come, take a walk with me down memory lane. It all began on..*fade out*

Wednesday 7th January: Lunching

My sisters and I went to Mint lounge at Sandy's creation (in Lilayi) for lunch before my younger sister had to leave the next day. If you're in Lusaka and haven't been, you need to go. The surroundings are so pleasing to the eye and the vibe was calm and refreshing; exactly what you need to enjoy a good meal. We chose to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. My sisters took this as an opportunity to get a photo session in (typical). Our waitress was warm and efficient, unfortunately I can't remember her name, I noticed this especially since she was shuttling between us and a large group (read party) that was also sitting outside.
The important part, their food was yummmmmmmy! For some apparent reason we're all wrap girls and that's what we ended up having. Each unique in its own way (just like us) but all mouthwateringly divine. I may be a little biased (seeing as the waitress was so nice to us) so don't just take my word for it, go ahead and try them out yourself. It's my goal to go back and order their chef's menu just so i can see them show off for me. Come with? Zambia is literally just a stones throw away *wink*

During their photoshoot

My faves

Thursday 8th: Chef me

Everyone left early that morning to go drop my sister off and other business leaving me to babysit the house. So I put on my chef's hat and apron, got out my trusty bread knife (it's my fave! Does anyone else have a favorite knife? I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anyone? No? Oh well) and cooked up a storm.
My menu consisted of: Grilled(and well marinaded) pork chops served with a mound of spiced rice and butternut on a bed of fresh tomato slices and onion rings, this was accompanied by a special white sauce and gravy (because Zambians LOVE gravy). It was a success. Empty plates all round *yay* and like my snapchatters know, an empty plate is the biggest compliment someone can give me about my cooking (I like feedback too).

Presentation is everything


This is how I made my special white sauce:

What you need:

  • Milk (or cream)
  • Flour to thicken
  • a teaspoon of butter
  • Pork stock
  • Salt
  • Nutmeg
  • White pepper
  • a saucepan
  • a whisk

What to do:

  • Heat the saucepan on the stove and add a teaspoon of butter. 
  • Leave to melt. Mix an 1/8 of a cup of flour in a cup of milk (substitute with cream if preferred) and pour this mixture into the saucepan. 
  • Stir the mixture with a whisk continuously until thick to avoid any lumps forming. 
  • Add in 2 tablespoons of pork stock and continue to whisk. 
  • Add salt to taste, a dash of nutmeg and some white pepper to bring out that lovely flavor. 


Et voila! Serve hot.
Tools

Finished product

Friday 9th: Home group

Home group (much like cell) is a christian meeting that happens on the first Friday of every month back at home. All the families in a particular area meet up and discuss the word of God over a meal and it so happened that we were the hosts on that particular day.
You don't know what catering is until you've cooked with my fam. They're so deep! Yes mummy, I'm talking about you. You'd think we were feeding an army, but like I've been told time and time again "Rather over over cook than under cook. You don't want to have people leaving your house hungry."
It's all good fun though (when everyone's rested- you don't want to cook with grumpy people) and I love seeing my people at work in the kitchen, can you say talented?
My absolute favourite part is not the finished product, although that's a site to see, but watching them all in their zones. It's quite something to watch someone do what they do best and if i've learnt anything it's that you can only fully appreciate a product when you know what went into the making of it.

Saturday 10th: Braai and bake

This was my cousin(and very close friend) Chimwemwe's brain child. She had been wanting a little chill(read get together) with her friends (me included) so she set up a whatsapp group and got us planning a braai and bake day; because what's a chill without food? We all chipped in and met up at her house on Saturday afternoon to do it. We were meant to start at eleven but Zambian timing, rain and other issues finally got us started at two.
It was a success! We had an amazing time cooking (once the braai stand was set up), baking, laughing and catching up. The company was amazing and the food was everything! And of course there were selfies/pictures taken at the end of the day.
Cheese!

Selfies!

Trying to start the braai

Who runs the world? Girls!

My friends Michelle and Dhozi made the tastiest cupcakes and Nomiya helped decorate them with frosting and oreo bits #Yummy (notice the pink and yellow frosting? *smiles*). Unfortunately I had to leave early (farm girl tendancies) so I whipped up a batch of my brownies (as requested) and left them in the oven hoping that the girls would remember to take them out. The feedback was great! Apparently they were eating them till monday.lol.


Before and After shots

Here's the brownie recipe used (you're welcome Lee). Be warned, It's not for the faint hearted.

What I used:

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 8 tablespoons of cocoa
  • Salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla
  • 1 cup of oil
  • 1/2 cup of water/milk
  •  Chocolate chips/nuts/raisins (as preferred)
  • 2 mixing bowls
  • A wooden spoon
  • Baking tray


What to do:

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  • Grease/cover baking try with wax paper
  • Sieve and mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl; Flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. 
  • In the other bowl, mix the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla together.
  • Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and gently fold the two together.
  • Add water/milk until desired consistency is reached
  • Pour mixture into baking tray and bake for 25 mins.


Et viola! Serve hot/cold with custard/ice cream




Brownie mix

Sunday 11th: Birthdays

Birthday's are a big deal where I'm from, which is probably why I love them so much and why i take it with me to my friendships. I actually can't remember a time that people were not excited for someone's birthday. It  literally confuses me when someone says they don't want to do anything for their birthday.
"It's just another day" "I don't want people to make a fuss" "It's not even an important one"
Are a few of the things that have been thrown at me as excuses for lack of excitement. Can someone

As fate would have it, the birthdays in my family are consecutive. So when that weekend rolled up, we were celebrating my mom's life on the Sunday and my brother's on a Monday. *whispers* sounds exciting right? Well, not when you're broke. LOL! Or worse, when you don't know what to get them (one of my fears is getting people I love gifts that they don't like. And yes, yes, I know. I'm a weirdo). We did find the perfect gift though, family time! We went out and had lunch at this cute little Portuguese restaurant upstairs at Levy Shopping mall in Lusaka (I forget the name), They have the tastiest food you guys, of course seeing as it was so long ago I can't remember what everyone ordered (although I do know my dad had fish, like always.lol). Please go try it out when you're in the area. You won't regret it.

   
 



1 comment:

  1. Good reviews. Thinking about going to visit mint now.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think :)