Friday 9 September 2016

Feature Fridays:To grandma, with love.


By Chimwemwe Sakanjole.

Almost a year ago today(Oct/Nov 2015), I wrote my final 4th year exams📚. Within two weeks of being back home, I got my first paid job which started at the beginning of December. It was at a company I said I'd work for one day (power of the tongue)...

A few weeks later after I began, I got news that I would be graduating from uni with an Upper Second (i.e 2nd from distinction) Economics Honors Degree all by the grace of God 🙏🏽.
And merely two months into my new job, I got another job offer from a different company, one that I am currently working for.

God has been so good to me... 




Unfortunately, on 23 October 2015, two weeks before my final exams I got a call. One that I did not want to get. I lost someone very dear to me: My grandma; my friend; one of my biggest cheer leaders.
My heart broke.
Yes, I was broken. But, I traveled home for the funeral and got back to school three days before my first two exams.

Throughout my university life,my grandma would call to check up on me. She also had her church mates son, who was in the same class as me, check on me just to make sure I was still 'upright' hehe.
She encouraged me and we spoke about how we would attend graduation together, unfortunately that wasn't part of Gods plan.

That was the top of the various reasons I gave my parents, as to why I didn't want to attend my graduation 🎓. But one of them was also because I was struggling...
Struggling to be so happy and excited about all that was happening, and at the same time trying to 'heal'. 

It took some time for me to say THANK YOU to God for what He continued doing in my life.
See I was at two extremes, very high and very low, and couldn't find a way to strike a balance. 

The past few months haven't been all rosy, BUT GOD, He has seen me through. 
I have experienced His love like never before.
Even when I didn't turn to Him or disappointed Him countless times.
He hasn't changed how He looks at me...and still embraces me...His daughter and little princess.

Remember: it's okay to cry; 
And it's not unusual to feel down, or defeated or like you're carrying the world on your shoulders.

BUT GOD... 

'He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even the young grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall,But those who hope in the Lord, will renew their strength. 
They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.' -Isaiah 40:29-31 

I am who I am today not because of my works, my might nor my power but because of the goodness of God and the support of my loved ones. 

In my tribute to my granny I dedicated my degree to her. 
So grandma,this one was for you...


❤❤Forever and always in my heart ❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)