Tuesday 4 October 2016

My Hate-Love affair with Adulting

Happy Choose-day!

Source

I'm sorry I didn't get you your usual Friday post, I tried to but, I was adulting.


Source

I've been 23 for all of two seconds, okay it happened about a week ago *cue music*, but I can tell you I definitely feel the difference.
So why now?
Why ONLY now?
Why have I decided to be responsible and adult this year?
Well to tell you the truth, I've asked myself that and had a couple of chuckles about it too.

Source

Do you remember when we were younger and the 23+ year olds were the grown ups?
When we needed an adult and we'd look up to them?
When our parents were going out of town and they'd leave them in charge? 
I do. I couldn't wait to grow up and be like them. I wanted to: sit at the adult table; be included in serious discussions; have my opinions heard and taken into account; to have responsibility; make my own money.
You know, fun stuff.
LOL
Or so I thought back then.

Source

See although I embrace each new year and all that it throws at me, for the most part, I have not enjoyed growing older. (Who has though?) I've been holding onto childhood and anti-adulting. lol.
The responsibilities I thought I'd enjoy are not as exciting as I thought they would be and the making my own money thing, eish.
It all looks glamorous from the outside, up until you're knee deep in it asking yourself why you took nap time for granted when it was right at your fingertips.
"Maybe I should've slept more.
Maybe I'd be taller. Lol.
I'd be more productive if I could just take a nap.
Can't we rewind the clock and go back to those days?
I promise I'll do better."

This year though, this year I decided I'd do things differently.
I prayed on it.
I asked for advice about it.
I thought through it.
I even cried about it a couple of times, yes I'm a crier lol

It was all worth it though cause now...
I make properly informed decisions.
I take calculated risks.
I fall down every so often but I've get back up.
I started a business.
I'm saving for a holiday.
I pay my own (minor) bills.
I take myself out (not everyday bae).
I buy my own things.
I manage my time better.
I don't spend as much time on the phone.
And I get out of my bed every morning ready to take on the world my world.

I think I'm adulting successfully, yes?

Source


Don't get me wrong, it's not easy!
Some days I wake up and I'm like "nah fam, not today. We'll try again tomorrow."
But then I remember that I can't achieve anything in my own strength. And that if it was all up to me I have no idea where I'd be right now. BUT GOD  He's the one who gets me through uno!
"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those that hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 43:30 - 31 (NIV)
Can I get amen?

The same God who got me through last season, brought me into this season, and has been doing amazing things in the lives of so many people around me. He's who sees me through every day. He's the one who helps me tackle my giants and provides me with the pebbles to do so.
He's the same God who'll part my red sea when I come face to face with it so I can rest assured that He's got me even in this adulting business.

Plus, He's given me an amazing support system to help out/ lean on/pray with whenever.



I'm loving it more and more every day.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man I put the ways of childhood behind me." - 1 Corinthians 13: 11 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Awww Mwape, this is brilliant!! Totally relatable. I am working on my time management and using my phone less too. Adulting is so much easier when you have God on your side.
    Side note: when I saw the pictures I knew you cooked up a storm!! Miss you guys. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too Michelle!!
      That's so true hey, it's a whole lot better knowing we have Him looking out for us and directing our steps.
      Haha thank you! We need a catch up session soon ;).
      P.S. I'm heading over to your blog now to read your post :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think :)