Tuesday 17 July 2018

Chicken pox Woes and other stories.

Yes you read right, I caught chicken pox.
At my big age πŸ˜‚
And yes it caught me totally by surprise, despite being a medical student and all of that.πŸ™Ž
So lemme tell you how it happened.

A couple of weeks ago I got excited when I saw a pawpaw (or Papaya for the rest of you in the western world πŸ˜‰) in Food Lovers market and had to have it. I also picked up a bag of locally grown Zambian coffee and headed out. The next morning guess who had pawpaw for breakfast? This girl! Note that it wasn't fully ripe but since when has something like that stopped me?πŸ˜… Fast forward to nine pm that night and guess who had an "allergic reaction"? This same girl πŸ˜‚ tjo guys, was I not worried that I would become ugly?!😩 You should've seen me panic when I realised I didn't have my allergy pills (everyone with a ton of allergies has them, if you know you know), I then proceeded to wake up my mum and bother my sisters for antihistamine cream.
Fortunately I found some, lathered that stuff on like lotion and BAM! Crisis averted.πŸ’ͺπŸ˜„

Or so I thought.πŸ˜‚

There I was on Sunday afternoon walking into church for our evening service when I noticed a bunch of spots on my left leg. My first thought was allergies (obviously as an allergy sufferer) but I hadn't come into contact with any of my triggers. So I let it slide and went on with my business. Guys, I kid you not, two hours later both of my legs and my arms were covered with these things. 😱 
Then the itching😒
Then mind went into overdrive and I thought through my symptoms, as well as remembering feeling flu-ish (I'd brushed it off because of the change in weather) and the mistaken pawpaw allergy I'd had a couple of weeks earlier.
And only then did it click...
I had chicken pox.😷

Shook. Shooketh. Shookington! 

I then mentioned it to my friend Chipe, who thought I was kidding lol, and to my mum as we left the service. When I woke up the next day I was sure of it hey. Like connect the dots on my arm sure. 
Imagine the look of shock on the pharmacist's face when I went in asking for Aciclovir (an antiviral) and calamine lotion? And when he asked for who, me showing him my fully spotted arm to confirm the diagnosis πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 

See the reason it's so funny is because: 
1. I'm a fully grown adult - how am I only getting chicken pox now?πŸ˜‚
2. I'd been exposed to it so many times in my childhood but nope, my body clearly didn't think that was the right time.πŸ˜‚
3. I'm due back to school soon hey. The whole vac I could've gotten and dealt with this, but now? Wow shem. πŸ˜‚

So here I am, writing this post covered in calamine lotion and quarantined in my home.
Thankfully everyone but my older sister's had it (she'll live if she gets it) so there's no worry of an outbreak. But guys, my dad's response when he heard, hawu! 

Dad : (shouting) Tasha!
Prody: Yes?
Dad: Have you had chicken pox before?
Prody: Yes I have
Dad: (visibly calmer) OK

Am I not the sick one? πŸ™†πŸ™
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Granted she is heading back to uni on Monday so her getting it would be inconvenient, but like, what about me?? πŸ™ŽπŸ˜•πŸ˜’
It's tough out here.
That and having to cancel some of the plans I'd had this week hey.πŸ˜”

Before I forget though, it's not all tragic. Having it now has some advantages:

1. I'm a whole adult so I don't have to be tricked/bribed/bullied into taking my meds. I plan on beating this thing as soon as possible.
2. I've watched Grey's anatomy, so I know if you don't scratch the less likely you are to scar terribly.
3. I already love my room so I have no problems being in it majority of the day.
4. I want to work with babies one day so now is probably the best time to get it.
5. It's given me so much time to slow down, read, and to think through all that's happening in my life at the moment. As well as time to prepare for what's coming next.
6. I've been super productive!

So silver linings in everything as always!😊

Bisous!
x

P.S I was asked to vlog about it but no thanks πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 
You can all just experience the journey with me in writing. I'll check back in with y'all on Friday.
Please pray for me? I'd really appreciate it!


2 comments:

Let me know what you think :)